Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My!


You just can’t make this stuff up. Dozens of wild animals escaped from a farm not too far from here. http://on.msnbc.com/o1dv5D When I told Spike this news, he immediately looked out the window, searching for Alex the Lion from the movie Madagascar.

After another rough night (50+ seizures a day is the new normal), Spike headed down for a PET scan late this morning. Even though he had been fasting since last night, he, as usual, had no complaints. He just rolls along with everything. His behavior has been much better too with much less hyperactivity than usual. That’s probably the result of a steady reduction in his Trileptal. So, of course, they are planning to up his levels again. We are going to hold them back as much as possible but if the docs really think it helps, we’ll just have to roll with like he does.

Spike patiently endured a long wait for the test by playing with his iPad. I think IPads should be given to every kid who’s admitted to the hospital. Spike got his as a present from my colleagues at Genworth during his first hospitalization. Never has a more thoughtful gift been given. A million thanks to you guys.
Due to the delay in the test start, I was concerned that his afternoon seizures would start up and invalidate the test. He started to get that glassy eyed pre-seizure voodoo going but he held them off. After a half hour on EEG, I carried him over to the PET scan machine and put him on the very uncomfortable looking railway that would slide him into yet another “spaceship” as he calls them. He once woke up after a scan and insisted on another ride through the machine.

Before I left, I leaned over and asked if he understood the test.

“It’s a PET scan Daddy,” he said.

“Do you know what it is for?”

Rolling his eyes he replied “They use it to look at how my brain works but YOU think it is used to tell if I am a dog or a cat”

He then lay quietly for a moment, lost in thought.

“Do you know what happens if they find out I am a cat?” he asked.

“No. What?”

“They’ll have to give me a CAT scan!!!!!” he shouted before launching into a rousing chorus of “CAT Scan Fever”

I think the anesthesiologist was considering a second dose of propofol  (the sedative of choice for rock stars of course) before he finally closed his eyes and went off to dream land. Spike, not the anesthesiologist.

No comments:

Post a Comment