Saturday, November 19, 2011

8:48 + 240 Hours : No Seizures

Ten days since Spike's last seizure.

In the ten days prior to his operation, he had 343 seizures and that was low because he was anesthetized for significant time periods. If nothing else, the operation appears to have prevented hundreds of seizures.

Before I mention anything else, let me assure you that Spike did NOT have a seizure tonight. I say that because what did happen tonight was scary and I don't want anyone else to be scared even for the minute it takes to read about it.

I was sitting on the sofa with him, playing video games when I noticed he just wasn't acting right. He seemed uncomfortable in some way that he could not describe. He'd had a full day with no nap and I always worry about him getting tired but this seemed more than that. It was almost bedtime anyway so I figured I could just wait it out and take no guff about him staying up late.

"Daddy, I'm really tired," he said, breaking the oath taken by all four year old boys.

I jumped up and said,"Ok, let's take your medicine right away and go to bed."

"Ok, that seems like a good idea."

He then took his medicine without any delay.

"I'm really tired. I think I need to lay down now."

Oh no. No, no. Those are the exact words he used in January before laying down on the couch and having that first truly horrific seizure.

I scooped him up and raced upstairs to get him in bed. He seemed a little better after getting in his pj's and then asked to watch one quick video. I let him do that and he then put his head down and immediately went to sleep.

Ten minutes later, he stirred, picked up his head, moved it around a bit and fell back asleep.

Fifteen more minutes passed before he fully woke up and started talking. I told him to go back to sleep. With little complaint, he fell back asleep.

For most parents of four year olds, what I have just described is a near nightly occurrence. For me, it's absolutely terrifying.

I was sure he was going to have a major seizure tonight and then what? Call 911? What can they do that a full neurosurgery team could not?

There's a whole lot of dynamic rewiring going on in Spike's head as a result of the lobectomy. Maybe all of these signs are nothing more than indications that the brain IS healing itself. Unfortunately, there's just no way to know for sure.


1 comment:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving, brother!
    John C from Richmond

    ReplyDelete