Friday, November 25, 2011

Let's Race!

I took Spike to the park today to enjoy the glorious weather and get a little exercise. He never wants to go when I ask him at home but if I somehow entice him outside, he then wants to do everything.

Once we arrived at the playground, Spike tried out all of his regular playground moves. He could climb and slide but just didn't seem comfortable or confident. I asked him if he would like to go for a walk in the woods instead and he quickly agreed.

Walking in the woods with Spike or Emily is one of my favorite activities, especially on a warm late autumn day.

We hadn't gone a hundred feet before Spike suddenly shouted, "Let's race!" and took off. His race was more shuffle than run but he had the spirit for it. I was so happy to see him running even as I analyzed every bit of his gait for weakness. He looked perfectly normal to me - until I saw some other youngsters tearing across a nearby field. THEY were running while Spike was just poking along. This reminded me again of the importance of following his physical therapy through to the end. "Better" should not be my standard for his recovery. "Normal" should be.

Regardless, we had a wonderful time walking, talking, throwing sticks into an algae covered pond and generally just messing about outdoors.

It's great to have him back.

3 comments:

  1. Hey that looked like a world class racer to me!

    Agree 100% on the Physical Therapy. When he plateaus (ie, insurance stops paying), you might try to hook him up with a physical trainer at a rec center. A good one will be able to watch him run and offer suggestions.

    One way or the other, he will learn to run; it will be important to do it as best he can to avoid back issues in the future.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fingers not working--
    Should have said Hook him up with a PERSONAL trainer..........

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you ever consider medical marijuana? Please just do some googling, its not as crazy as it sounds.

    ReplyDelete